Western States was another incredible experience, I love writing my reports and re-living the day. I’m not the finest writer out there, but I speak what I feel and in doing so my goal is to put you in my shoes while you read, taking you through my day and how it unfolded.
First off I want to thank my amazing sponsors who are helping me make my dreams come true. The North Face has been incredible team to be apart of, I look forward to growing with them as I keep exploring the world. Natura Health Products keep me strong and healthy, adapting to the rigors I put my body through daily – I’m so stoked that this local company from Ashland, OR has my back. And of course Injinji, my little piggies have never been happier, that blister I used to always get between my big and second toe is no more and I am quite happy for that.
My hats off to Craig Thornley on his first time Race Directing Western States, you did an outstanding job and I love your enthusiasm for our sport. Also, a HUGE thank you to all the volunteers and staff that make WS happen so successfully each year; so many people are apart of this and work long long hours to make it flawless, I am so blessed to be able to run it these past 3 years.
Congrats to all the WS finishers and participants. Just showing up and giving your best is all you can do, I hope you all had a great experience.
Also, thank you to everyone there and afar cheering me on and sending positive vibrations; friends and family who support me and encourage me continually, it pushes me to give everything I’ve got.
Great moment! Photo: Shahid Ali
And finally thank you to my crew; running WS is a team effort and I could not do it without all of you, you all made the day perfect (Krista, Tristan, Bob, Debbie, Amber, Dom, Chris, Aaron, and Shahid)! Dom and Renn with their mad pacing skills, it was a pleasure to run with you both; you get to witness all the good and weird stuff! Krista, you are amazing and give me the strength to push on, thank you for always being there and supporting me.
The crew post race. Thank you!!!
Love these two! Photo: Shahid Ali
Products used before and after race.
The North Face
- 2.0 lightweight mini-crew toesocks
- Buff to put ice in.
- Before race
- After Race
- Power Adapt
- Justins Hazelnut butter at least 3-4 big scoops😉
- 1-Justin’s Hazelnut package in first hour.
- VFuel, 1-2 an hour. I love the peach cobbler flavor, but use all 3.
- Sierra Mist with ice after 50 miles. Not sure how much I used, but I would drink at aid stations and then fill up one water bottle with it when I saw my crew.
- Salt caps, 2 an hour for most the day. One an hour the last few hours.
Music – Western States mix, I used on my ipod shuffle the last few hours
- Lake house – Of Monsters And Men
- Into the WIld – LP
- Thrift Shop – Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
- Can’t Hold – Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
- Little Talks – Of Monsters And Men
- Ho Hey – The Lumineers
- Get Lucky (feat. Pharrell Williams) – Daft Punk
- I’m a Thug – Trick Daddy….lol, dont judge me, I thought it was perfect to go from this to MMMBop
- MMMBop – Hanson
- Same Love – Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
- Hold On – Alabama Shakes
- Get by – Talib Kweli
- King and Lionheart – Of Monsters And Men
- Forest Whitiker – Brother Ali
- Comback kid (that’s My Dog) – Brett Dennen
- 40 Day Dream – Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
- Hey Hey Hey – Michael Franti
- Be – Common
Trail Hippy. Photo: Luis Escobar
Post-race interviews and articles
- My daily nutrition
- Robbie Lawless interview Darkest Before The Dawn
- irunfar post race interview
- WS finish line interview
- WS Results
- No gluten No Problem
- Competitor Radio interview
- CBS local video
The family and I will be hitting the road for the next few months, I’m always looking for new and good sponsors that don’t compete with my already existing top notch sponsors.😉
Thanks for reading and I’ll continue to update as we hit the trails…cheers!